Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Dreamforce '12 - Day 1

I'm back in San Francisco again this year for Dreamforce '12.  After an (adventurous || adrenaline packed || terrifying || downright good time) weekend of climbing in Yosemite with CRM Science's Ami Assayag, I came to this city in a mentally prepared state to soak in as much as I can.  The older, wiser, and more experienced me thought I knew what to expect, but it seems #df12 has grown just as much as I have over the past year.

The number of attendees, venues, and sessions have all expanded.    Somehow, I managed to spend all of my day in the Moscone West building. 

Session #1: Unleash the Force.com User Interface with Skuid
Skoodat's Skuid seems like a great tool that would save a ton of time in developing custom page layouts or even stand-alone pages. Its drag and drop visual page editor reminded me of Frontpage or Dreamweaver as the code for the page is created for you behind the scenes. Within a few minutes, the presenters created a new multi-paned and tabbed Contact view as well as a custom list page. With a handful of clicks, they were able to add additional actions to each row of their data set. I'd love to see something like this become a general release feature

Session #2:  The 10-Year Evolution of Developers and Salesforce.com
This was another session that took place in the Developer Theater tucked behind the Dev Zone. David Claiborne of The Claiborne Company did a great job of showing how far Salesforce.com has come along over the last decade+. Apex and Visualforce haven't always been key components to the platform, neither have sandboxes or custom objects. This session made me realize that I began working with many of the modern enhancements of Salesforce.com as they were being released.

For a list of those features and to vote for your 3 favorite features visit: here

Session #3: Apex Design Patterns
Not coming from a developer background, this was one of the best sessions of the day for me. Not only were best practices discussed, but common development patterns applied to Apex were demonstrated. I can see future posts in my near future as I explore the 6 patterns presented.

  1. Singleton
  2. Strategy
  3. sObject Decorater
  4. Façade
  5. Composite
  6. Bulk State Transition


My other sessions of the day included:
Session #4:  JavaScript Patterns and Practices from the Salesforce Experts
Session #5:  Introduction to Heroku
Session #6:  Workbench:  The API Swiss Army Knife


The Expo (Moscone North) and Campground (between North and south) opened today at 2 and held a Welcoming Reception at 6.  Great food and drinks spread out among the vendors.  

Follow me on Twitter:  @kirkevonphilly
Join the PhillyForce Salesforce.com User Group:  http://philly.force.com/